Sly and Bentley needed Murray back in the gang, not only because they needed him to be able to find the Cooper Vault, but because they were missing their lifelong friend. After the events with Clock-La, Murray blamed himself for Bentley's injury and decided to leave the team. Sly and Bentley tried to reason with him, but going out on his own was something he needed to do.
During his training, Murray eventually ended up in Venice, Italy, but what he was doing there was a mystery. Sly hoped that he steered clear of the local mob boss, Don Octavio.
Octavio was a real neighborhood celebrity, well known for his opera singing. After losing most of his fans to rock music, he became the leader of the Venetian mobsters and had plans for making everybody enjoy opera again.
Sly knew that heading onto Octavio's turf was dangerous, but worth it to convince Murray to rejoin the gang.
|Job name||Completed by|
|"Police HQ"||Sly Cooper|
|Sneak into the Venice police station and see if Murray is there.|
|Follow Octavio through Venice and get photographic evidence of his tar scheme.|
|"Into the Depths"||Sly|
|Sneak into Octavio's opera house and hack into his computer to see what he has planned during Carnival.|
|Octavio has hired the Blue Viper Gang to hunt down and kill Carmelita. Hotwire a police boat and head after them.|
|"Turf War!"||Sly, Carmelita Fox|
|Octavio has hired the Vincenetti Gang for protection on recital day. Lure them to the police station to spark a turf war.|
|"Tar Ball"||Bentley, Murray|
|Use the new ball form to destroy six tar pipes around town.|
|"Run 'n Bomb"||Sly|
|Sly and Bentley have to destroy advertising balloons with timed bombs. Without advertising, no one will show up for Octavio's big comeback recital.|
|"Guard Duty"||Sly, Bentley|
|Sly dons a disguise in order for Bentley to swipe the tar vacuum blueprints.|
|"Operation: Tar-Be Gone!"||Sly, Bentley, Murray|
|Time to shut down the tar scheme and bring Murray back to the team!|
With the fight over, Sly and Murray went back to help Bentley up. It was touch and go for a while, but they managed to sneak out right under Carmelita's nose.
Octavio wasn't so lucky. He got thirty years behind bars for the damage he caused to Venice. Ironically, he found success as a singer in jail since most of his fan-base was already locked up with him.
The big score here was getting Murray back. Once he put on his gloves and mask, it was clear that "The Murray" has returned.
Master Thief ChallengesEdit
|"Canal Chase - Expert Course"||Defeat the Blue Viper boats without taking significant damage.|
|"Air Time"||Destroy all the tar reservoirs before time runs out.|
|"Tower Scramble"||Get to the top of the tower and knock the balloon free before time runs out.|
|"Coin Chase"||Collect 20 coins while keeping up with Octavio.|
|"Speed Bombing"||Destroy the vacuum pumps before time runs out.|
|"Octavio Canal Challenge"||Defeat Octavio in the Venice canals under time pressure.|
|"Octavio's Last Stand"||Defeat Octavio before time runs out.|
|"Venice Treasure Hunt"||Using your treasure map, follow the clues to find the hidden loot.|
- This marks the second time that Sly and Bentley are the only playable characters available at the safe house during the story. The first was "Jailbreak."
- Interestingly, both of these episodes are completed using Murray.
- Unlike in Jailbreak, Murray is playable after the episode is finished.
- Also unlike in Jailbreak, Sly is available from the beginning.
- Murray is always in his Dreamtime gear when the episode is revisited.
- While the game refers to the Carnival of Venice as Carnivale, the actual Italian translation for Carnival is Carnevale.
- The Rialto Bridge is an actual landmark in Italy.
- Tony B. interrogates Sly with passwords every time he sees him, making him the only guard to do it more than once.
- After completion of this level, if you go back to where the stage was, you can rail walk on what used to be a rope leading to the top of the stage.