I will orchestrate your demise!
― Miss Decibel while fighting Sly Cooper[src]
Miss Decibel was a villain in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, appearing as the main antagonist of 40 Thieves. She joined Le Paradox's gang as one of his lieutenants and was sent to Ancient Arabia. She planned on obtaining the lost masterpieces of classical musicians, such as Mozart and Beethoven.
She was voiced by Eliza Jane Schneider.
Decibel was born into a wealthy British family. As a child, she had a love of performing classical music, but she was never very good at it. Everyone who went to her recitals were unimpressed by her complete lack of musical talent.
After one notably awful performance, in which the crowd booed and threw a rotten tomato at her, the young Decibel threw a volatile temper tantrum, which caused the trumpet that she was playing to fly up into the air and get stuck in her trunk.
Trying to remove the trumpet, she blew her trunk, which caused a hypnotic note to play. The crowd now seemed to love her music. When she realized that she could control people with her hypnotic notes, Miss Decibel turned to a life of crime, hypnotizing innocent people into committing crimes for her. This resulted in getting the attention of Le Paradox, who decided to hire her, hoping that her skills would help him with his schemes.
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeEdit
Miss Decibel lured the three members of Salim al-Kupar's gang out by having a parade in the streets of Ancient Arabia and throwing lots of money around. When Salim and the thieves broke into her palace, she was easily able to capture all of the thieves, except Salim, using her modern technology. She then used her hypnotic record players to hypnotize the thieves into forging documents that that would establish Le Paradox as an esteemed member of royalty in the future. In exchange for this, Le Paradox claimed that he would help her find the lost masterpieces of Mozart and Beethoven. However, Miss Decibel needed Le Paradox's help to feed the three thieves. The Cooper Gang was able to exploit this by disguising Sly as a delivery boy and thus were able to convince Miss Decibel to give them the locations of the three thieves.
After the thieves were rescued, the Cooper Gang planted a bug in Miss Decibel's office to find out more about the secret door in the lamp shop. Once they managed to sneak into the lamp shop and unlock the door, they found out that it was a secret underground docking station for Le Paradox's blimp. Le Paradox and Miss Decibel confronted them there and Le Paradox revealed that he had stolen Salim's cane and taken Carmelita as hostage. He told Miss Decibel to defeat Sly before joining him on the blimp.
After being defeated by Sly, Miss Decibel clung onto a rope and begged Le Paradox to let her into his blimp. Le Paradox responded by thanking her for the documents, but revealed that he was only using the relationship to obtain the forged documents, adding that it would not have worked out between the two of them and that her music stunk worse than he did, before cutting the rope that she was hanging onto, which resulted in her falling from the blimp. Le Paradox then escaped and returned to the present. Salim then lodged a cork into her trunk to stop her from hypnotizing people.
After this turn of events, Miss Decibel was brought back to the present and incarcerated. After being sent to prison, she decided to turn her life around. The trumpet was removed, she enrolled in anger management classes and began a music class in the prison, much to the dismay of the inmates as her skills had not improved over the years. With continued good behavior, she may be eligible for early parole.
|Mandrills||Flashlight guard||Grenades||They are armed with various grenades to throw. They also have various close combat moves.|
|Lizards||Rooftop guard||Gas Shooter + Grenade Launcher||They are armed with a gas shooter that doubles as a grenade launcher, spewing toxic gas (possibly Le Paradox's). They can also use their tongues if engaged in close combat.|
|Siamese cats||Rooftop guard||Dual Scimitars||Armed with two scimitars, they will also try to hurl these at you from a distance.|
- A decibel is a unit used to measure how loud sounds are. This suits her as a musician.
- Her hair color and style bears a strong resemblance to Cruella De Vil. It is also a reference to the two characters that Miss Decibel originally was during development.
- Early concept art shows that Miss Decibel was originally two different characters: a male elephant who appeared to be some sort of librarian or scholar, and a high society monitor lizard. The two characters were eventually merged into Miss Decibel during development.
- Curiously, a colored version of her male original design appears on the wall during the “Open Sesame” mission when Miss Decibel and Le Paradox are talking about the last of the three thieves and before Sly enters the tent.
- She's the third villain whose name is associated with music. The first was Arpeggio and the second was Octavio.
- Curiously enough, she appears to be gray in the animated cutscenes, while in-game, she is green.
- Being a "Music Snob" (according to Bentley), she is shown to have a deep dislike for Rock and Roll music which she refers to "awful screeching".
- She is the only henchman of Le Paradox to not try and pursue her own agenda. All of the other bosses, including Penelope, had put their own goals ahead of Le Paradox's in some form.
- Though she did have hopes to acquire lost musical masterpieces by musicians like Mozart and Beethoven. This is, of course, something she chose to put on the back burner in favor of remaining loyal to Le Paradox's cause.
- She appears to be a homage to several villains from the original trilogy: Mz. Ruby, The Contessa and Octavio; With Mz. Ruby, her battle strategy involves heading from one platform to another after a barrage of musical attacks and both have a form of "Ms." in their names; with the Contessa, Miss Decibel is an expert hypnotist and have a high social status; with Octavio, both have names having to do with music and both were once musical performers, Octavio being a former opera singer and Miss Decibel being a former classical musician.
- If you search Arabia carefully as Sly or Salim, you can find a tunnel that leads to a room with Miss Decibel relaxing while listening to music behind a screen. She appears here, even after completing Arabia, when she is presumably thrown in prison. Also, if detected by the guards, she will not notice the commotion.
- She is allergic to camel hair, emitting enormous sneezes that turn her in the opposite direction.
- There is a painting of Miss Decibel in the arcade room of the ancient Arabian Safe house.
- She is the only lieutenant that called Le Paradox by his first name.
- She's also the only one to have a close relationship with him, though Le Paradox very likely used the relationship to get what he wanted.
- She loves peanut butter (she even wears a perfume that smells like peanuts) and is very afraid of mice, which are stereotypical traits of elephants in popular media.