Mmm, I could feel that Cooper vibe coming. Most distastefully bad juju.
― Mz. Ruby upon seeing Sly enter her skull temple.[src]
Mz. Ruby is an alligator and was the chief mystic of the Fiendish Five. She planned on creating an army of ghosts to take over Mexico. She was the main antagonist of "Vicious Voodoo" in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus.
She was voiced by Presciliana Esparolini.
Mz. Ruby was born into a family of mystics and was feared by other children due to her strange powers. Despite an earnest effort to fit in, learning to summon the undead was the only possible method she had of gaining friends. Years of bitterness led an adult Mz. Ruby to use her voodoo talents to commit crimes, in order to take revenge on the world for fearing her as a child. She became the chief mystic of the Fiendish Five, which allowed the group to break both the laws of man and nature at the same time.
Sly Cooper and the Thievius RaccoonusEdit
As a member of the Fiendish Five, she accompanied her fellow cohorts during the attack on the Cooper home and was involved in the subsequent murder of Sly's parents. She departed with the manuscripts of Slytunkhamen Cooper and fled into the jungles of Haiti. Mz. Ruby used her knowledge of voodoo to create armies of ghosts from bones and body parts, setting them within and around her alligator skull temple.
Despite numerous obstacles, Sly Cooper managed to reach her temple and faced her in a battle of "Voodoo Simon Says," as Sly put it. Mz. Ruby was beaten and was forced to tell the location of the Panda King. Her voodoo activities, primarily the creation of zombies, earned her a life sentence behind bars.
Mz. Ruby is a dark green alligator with a light green belly and mouth, along with sharp teeth, spikes on her tail and dark blue hair. She also has red eyes. Her attire includes what appears to be a pinkish-purple sleeveless shirt, a red bandanna on her head tying up her hair, one gold ring on each of her ankles and two of them on her wrists. She also has her fingernails and toenails painted red in addition to the ruby in her belly button, and also wears a gold necklace around her neck. Her appearance is typical of a voodoo priestess.
PersonalityEditMz. Ruby is a particularly cold and dark individual due to years of isolation in her early childhood. Despite her eventual use of magic in order to make friends, she later employed these abilities in a life of crime. She is somewhat maternal towards her zombie creations, calling them her children. Mz. Ruby possesses an eccentric and sadistic sense of humor, quite delighted at the thought of Sly dying. She had ambitious plans to use her dark creations to take over Mexico.
Despite her great power and large build, Mz. Ruby is cowardly and opts to fight Sly from a distance rather than hand to hand. Additionally, when Sly rode on Chumley (at Mz. Ruby's insistence) to get close enough to strike, Mz. Ruby killed Chumley, either out of anger or bad aim. Later, one of the large mosquito guards helped Sly reach her in the final part of the battle, possibly suggesting that the local wildlife was angry at the priestess for poisoning their jungle. Such instances further substantiate how a youth of isolation impaired her ability to care for others.
Mz. Ruby possesses numerous magical abilities including conjuring ghosts, reviving the dead, firing energy blasts and teleportation, as seen in her battle with Sly. On top of this, she was able to predict Sly's arrival in Haiti. She was seen looking into a crystal ball, suggesting the abilities of a seer.
- Mz. Ruby's swamp is one of the locations shown in one of the paintings in Octavio's coffee houses in An Opera of Fear of Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves. Concept art of Haiti also appears as a painting in the Museum of Natural History in Sly 2: Band of Thieves.
- Mz. Ruby shares some similarities with the Contessa, as they are both cold-blooded animals, their hub levels have obvious mystic vibes to them, and they are both the only female members of their gangs.
- Mz. Ruby is one of three Sly Cooper villains who received known sentences in prison, the others being Octavio and Cyrille Le Paradox.
- Mz. Ruby is one of two villains known to be sentenced to life in prison, the other one being Le Paradox.
- The music during her boss fight in The Sly Collection wasn't correctly updated, causing the music to be off time with the button presses.
- However, despite the fact that the music is still off-sync in the PS Vita remaster, the player doesn't need to be as accurate when pressing the buttons.
- Despite Mz. Ruby being referred to as an alligator, she resembles a crocodile more due to her V-shaped snout.
- Mz. Ruby is one of the two villains shown to have the power to reanimate the dead, the other being General Tsao. They both were imprisoned specifically for this reason.
- Mz. Ruby appears on two potion advertising billboards in the mission "At the Dog Track."
- Whenever Mz. Ruby successfully lands a hit on Sly, she can briefly be seen using her belly as a drum. Some of Sir Raleigh's walrus guards also do this.
- Mz. Ruby and Muggshot are the only bosses in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus to address Sly directly over the P.A. system (or telepathically, in Mz. Ruby's case) near the end of their respective episodes; Sir Raleigh and Panda King address the guards in their employ rather than Sly.
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- The Adventures of Sly Cooper, issue 2