How delightful. We have a guest. The only thing is... I HATE UNEXPECTED GUESTS!
― Raleigh's first words to Sly Cooper[src]
Sir Raleigh was a frog who served as the chief machinist of the Fiendish Five. He was the first boss in the Sly Cooper series, appearing as the antagonist of "Tide of Terror" in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus.
He was voiced by David Scully.
Bored with a life of wealth and privilege, Raleigh discovered an interest in piracy, which he first attempted during a ride on his yacht. It was then that his criminal mind began to blossom. His skill in building machines led to his recruitment as chief machinist of the Fiendish Five. After the attack on Conner Cooper's home, Raleigh escaped with the notes of Rioichi Cooper. Eventually, he had established himself near the Isle of Wrath and constructed a blimp-like "storm machine" that perpetually generated harsh rain and winds. He utilized the storm machine to sink passing ships, which he could then plunder loot from.
Sly Cooper and the Thievius RaccoonusEdit
Raleigh was the one who found the Thievius Raccoonus during the Fiendish Five raid on the Cooper home. Ten years later, he was confronted by Sly Cooper. Raleigh mocked Sly, saying that he and the rest of the Fiendish Five should have "finished the job" when he helped slaughter Conner. He demonstrated his ability to bloat to gargantuan size, preparing to crush Sly like an insect. However, Raleigh was beaten despite his powerful attacks. Still conscious, he informed Sly of the dangers that awaited in Mesa City, where Muggshot resided, and that the young thief would be no match for his cohort. He was then arrested by Inspector Carmelita Fox and incarcerated at Heathrow Penitentiary. Disguised as a guard at the penitentiary, Sly saw Raleigh one final time some years later while trying to collect information on the whereabouts of Kaine Island.
Raleigh was a green frog with brown eyes. He wore no clothes except for white gloves, white shoe spats over his feet and a distinctive blue top hat made of metal.
As a young man before his turn to piracy, Raleigh wore only a red bowtie and grey gloves and had brown hair. Years later, during Sly's visit to Heathrow Penitentiary, Raleigh was seen to still have hair and his hat had been confiscated.
Raleigh was cruel and sadistic, as seen by his delight in sinking ships and looting them for treasure. Raleigh was also one of several villains whose turn to criminality did not stem from a tragic event in his past, but merely because he was bored with his privileged life.
By swallowing insects, Raleigh was able to bloat to a much greater size, allowing him to use his added bulk to crush his foes. He was capable of extending his tongue and using it to attack. He was also a skilled machinist, with his most notable creation being the storm machine.
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- The Adventures of Sly Cooper, issue 2
- There are several photos of Raleigh displayed in the Cairo Museum of Natural History.
- Raleigh is referenced in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, where his hat appears as a treasure. His hat is also seen sitting on a shelf in the beginning of "Goodbye My Sweet."
- Raleigh is one of the four villains referenced in all four games, the other two being Clockwerk, Panda King, and Muggshot. Raleigh himself was a boss in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, a cameo picture in Sly 2: Band of Thieves, referenced in a short included with Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves and referenced again with a treasure in Thieves in Time.
- Raleigh is one of four characters in the series shown drinking alcohol, along with Dimitri Lousteau, The Contessa and her husband.
- He is one of five villains to have at least one blimp, along with The Contessa, Arpeggio, Cyrille Le Paradox and Penelope.
- Raleigh is the first British villain in the series. Followed by him, the other British villains out of the total of five in the series are Arpeggio, the Black Baron, Dr. M and Miss Decibel.
- Raleigh had stolen the most pages of the Thievius Raccoonus out of any member of the Fiendish Five.
- Raleigh has one of the highest kill counts in the game series, with possible exceptions being Clockwerk and the Panda King, as his storm machine has sunken over fifty ships and many airplanes as well. This brings his total kill count to about 1,000.
- Sir Raleigh is one of four characters to have "Sir" as his official title, along with Sir Galleth Cooper, Sir Andrew Cooper, and Sir Augestine of Cooper.
- Raleigh is the only amphibian boss in the series.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In Japanese, Raleigh was voiced by the late Sukekiyo Kameyama.