How delightful. We have a guest. The only thing is... I HATE UNEXPECTED GUESTS!
― Raleigh speaking to Sly Cooper[src]
Sir Raleigh was a frog who served as the chief machinist of the Fiendish Five. He was the first boss in the Sly Cooper series, appearing as the antagonist of "Tide of Terror" in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus.
He was voiced by David Scully.
Bored with a life of wealth and privilege, Raleigh discovered an interest in piracy, which he first attempted during a ride on his yacht. It was then that his criminal mind began to blossom. His skill in building machines led to his recruitment as chief machinist of the Fiendish Five. After the attack on Conner Cooper's home, Raleigh escaped with the notes of Rioichi Cooper. Eventually, he had established himself near the Isle of Wrath and constructed a blimp-like "storm machine" that perpetually generated harsh rain and winds. He utilized the storm machine to sink passing ships, which he could then plunder loot from.
Sly Cooper and the Thievius RaccoonusEdit
Ten years later, Raleigh was confronted by Sly Cooper. Raleigh mocked Sly, saying that he and the rest of the Fiendish Five should have "finished the job" when he helped slaughter Conner. He demonstrated his ability to bloat to gargantuan size, preparing to crush Sly like an insect. However, Raleigh was beaten despite his powerful attacks. Still conscious, he warned Sly of the dangers that awaited in Mesa City, where Muggshot resided. He was then arrested by Inspector Carmelita Fox and incarcerated at Heathrow Penitentiary. Disguised as a guard at the penitentiary, Sly saw Raleigh one final time some years later while trying to collect information on the whereabouts of Kaine Island.
Raleigh was a green frog with brown eyes. He wore no clothes except for white gloves, white shoe spats over his feet and a distinctive blue top hat made of metal.
Raleigh was cruel and sadistic, taking delight in sinking ships and looting them for treasure. Raleigh was also one of few villains whose turn to criminality did not stem from a tragic event in his past, but merely because he was bored with his privileged life.
By swallowing insects, Raleigh was able to bloat to a much greater size, allowing him to use his added bulk to crush his foes. He was capable of extending his tongue and using it to attack. He was also a skilled machinist, with his most notable creation being the storm machine.
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- The Adventures of Sly Cooper, issue 2
- Raleigh has one of the highest kill counts in the series, with possible exceptions being Clockwerk and the Panda King, as his storm machine sunk fifty ships and several airplanes, putting the death count close to, if not over, 1,000.
- Raleigh's name may be based on Sir Walter Raleigh.
- He was the one who found the Thievius Raccoonus during the raid on the Cooper home.
- There are several photos of Raleigh displayed in the Cairo Museum of Natural History.
- His hat is seen sitting on a shelf in the beginning of "Goodbye My Sweet."
- Raleigh is referenced in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, where his hat appears as a treasure.
- He is one of five British villains in the series. These include himself, Arpeggio, Dr. M, the Black Baron and Miss Decibel.
- Raleigh had the most Thievius Raccoonus pages out of any member of the Fiendish Five.
- Raleigh is one of the three villains referenced in all four games, the other two being Clockwerk and Muggshot.
- In Japanese, Raleigh was voiced by the late Sukekiyo Kameyama.