Treasures are collectibles found in Sly 2: Band of Thieves and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Treasures differ from loot in the sense that they are not pickpocketed; rather, they are found within the hub world.
Playable characters (sometimes only Sly, depending on where it's located) can pick up a treasure by pressing while standing next to it. They then have to bring it to the safe house without taking any damage; if they do take damage, the treasure is destroyed. Some treasures are booby-trapped and are automatically destroyed after a set amount of time. However, any treasure that is destroyed can be reacquired from its original position (except for the Gold Painting, as its pedestal will have a forgery in place).
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
There are a total of 25 treasures found in Sly 2. Each treasure can be sold on ThiefNet for a specific amount of coins that can then be used to purchase power-ups. All of the treasures are obtainable at any time except for the Gold Painting, which is only available once immediately after "Bug Dimitri's Office." Each episode has three treasures, with the exception of The Black Chateau (four treasures including the Gold Painting). Treasures can only be brought to the Safe House when a job is not active.
If a treasure is booby-trapped, then the player is given a limited amount of time to return the it to the safe house. If it is not returned in time, it will fall off of the player and be destroyed, requiring the player to collect it again.
List of treasures in Sly 2
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Treasures make a return in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, with a total of 60 to be found. Each treasure rewards the player with a certain amount of coins, but they are no longer sold and lost; they are kept on a unique Treasure Wall that the player can access from the Hideout at any time for viewing pleasure.
Collecting all of the treasures in an episode will unlock the arcade machine in that episode's Hideout, and collecting all of the treasures will unlock the arcade machine in the Paris Hideout. In addition, treasures can be brought back to the Hideout at any time without abandoning the current job, as they are "returned" once directly in front of the hideout, and all treasures are booby-trapped. In all other cases, they work the same as in Sly 2.
The rewards from the Safes in Thieves in Time are also classified as treasures, but these have special uses and have no coin value. Their special effect is automatically applied when opening the safe, and the treasure is automatically in the Hideout - the player does not need to carry it back.
List of treasures in Thieves in Time
List of safe treasures
|Coopergiwa's Gold Magnet||Turning Japanese||Coins near the player are automatically collected|
|Muggshot's Coin||Go West Young Raccoon||Coins from guards and objects are doubled|
|Clockwerk's Eye||Clan of the Cave Raccoon||Binocucom shows clue bottle locations|
|Sir Raleigh's Frog Hat||Of Mice and Mechs||Player does not take damage from water|
|The Guru's Staff Piece||40 Thieves||Player takes half damage|
Treasure design competition
A competition ran from April 20, 2012 to May 20, 2012 where fans could design a treasure that they thought Sly would collect in Thieves in Time. From there, Sanzaru Games selected ten of these treasures to appear in the game (two from the United States and eight from other places around the world). These treasures appear in the top-left corner of the Treasure Wall.
United States prizes
- The two first place prize winners each received a 3G PlayStation Vita Handheld Entertainment System, a 32GB memory card, a $100 PlayStation Store voucher, and a PlayStation 3 sporting a Sly Cooper design. These winners also got their treasures into the game.
- The five runner ups received a 3G PlayStation Vita System, a 16GB Memory Card, and a $40 PlayStation Store voucher.
- Each of the 24 international winners won a PlayStation Vita system (Wi-Fi only) and a 16GB PlayStation Vita memory card. In addition to this, each of the eight final winners got the chance to see their drawings transformed into in-game treasures.
- The 24 entrant countries were: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE and United Kingdom.
- If "Follow Dimitri" and "Waterpump Destruction" are completed before "Bug Dimitri's Office," the Gold Painting is automatically brought to the safe house (because Bentley's slideshow will be triggered). This is the only treasure that can be brought to the safe house automatically.
- The Classic Gaming Gear treasure was in Thieves in Time while in production, but was cut sometime before the game was released. No statement was made as to why this happened.